Sunday 12 May 2024

Why I wrote the book: No Good Deed by January Bain

 

May 12, 2024

Good Morning to you and Happy Mother's Day!

As some of you may know, I was honored and happy to sign back in December with Rough Edges Press, an imprint of Wolfpack Publishing. Since then, I have been rewarded with realizing what a great decision that was!

Today, I want to talk about my newest release and why I wrote, No Good Deed.

No Good Deed is a book written not only from real world experience, but from the heart. Many years ago, I tried to do what the protagonist does in the story. No, I didn’t go nearly as far as my character, Katie Kelly does when she hides a young girl in her safe room. I didn’t have the resources that Katie does, or the wherewithal.

I was barely out of my teens when a young woman a couple of years older than I was at the time came to me for help one day while I was at work. But I did have the loan of a half ton that would allow me to move her, her two small children, and her possessions to a new location. Loading that old truck, I felt the urgency of time pressing in. The abusive husband was at work and if he discovered she was missing, I had no idea what he would do to her. Or to me for that matter.

The part I found most unsettling, was after we managed to fill the truck box with her things, drive the thirty miles to her new location, and while we were unloading her stuff, she changed her mind. Drive me back, she demanded.

I was stunned, worried, and tried to talk her out of it. But she was more concerned that he would find her and she wouldn’t budge. I had no choice but to do as she asked, piling her things back onto the truck and tying them down. Filled with regrets, I left her that day with her two children, wishing I knew more about life and how to help her. I did try to keep in touch, but she pulled back and wouldn’t share anything more with me.

Not long after, I moved about four hours away, taking up a teaching position in a different community. I still have regrets to this day. This story, No Good Deed, is told from a bit older person’s POV, who knew more than I did, as I would know now. And looking back, I realized there was little more I could have realistically done. Do I wish it had turned out differently? Of course, but in the end, we all choose our own lives.

In No Good Deed, I have addressed this issue and it felt good to write a strong female lead that did what Katie Kelly did for her neighbor. I admire strength in people. People willing to step up and help when they can.

Please, feel free to share any thoughts you have about No Good Deed. It’s very rewarding to connect with fellow readers and I always respond promptly, thanks to my grandma. She taught me many things, sharing her values and wise advice, from never be late or keep others waiting to always be kind and helpful. I like to think I walk a little in her giant footsteps.

Wishing one and all a lovely day,

January Bain/Storyteller

 


 

New Release

May 14th, 2023

No Good Deed by January Bain

A gripping tale where good deeds intertwine with hidden crimes and a quest for truth…

Buy Links: 

https://www.amazon.com/No-Good-Deed-Psychological-Thriller-ebook/dp/B0CZG4GVFF

A gripping tale where good deeds intertwine with hidden crimes and a quest for truth…

Katie Kelly finally has the career and house of her dreams, but it’s a life built on a shaky foundation. Everything she holds dear could be stripped away in a split-second if the truth were to become known and her secrets exposed. Her best friend, Sadie, is also involved in hiding the past. The pair have managed to move on since that day of reckoning that occurred when they were just teenagers, by helping others to escape bad situations.

When a young woman runs to Katie and begs for her help, Katie is compelled to come to her aid and hides her in a safe room, locked away from her abusive boyfriend.

But then the past rises up and threatens to derail her best efforts to help the young girl, exposing her and her best friend to the vulgarities of fate as the girl is discovered to have an unexpected agenda, harboring secrets of her own. Katie is left with few choices. With her entire life crashing down around her ears, she must act to save not only herself, but her dear friend as well. Can Katie stop the past from destroying all hopes for a future?

Discover the chilling consequences of one woman's altruism in the face of hidden crimes. Join Katie Kelly as she navigates the shadows of her past, compelled to make a choice that could change lives forever.

 Author Links

Blog Address - http://januarybainjourney.blogspot.ca/

Twitter Name – https://twitter.com/JanuaryBain

Facebook Page – https://www.facebook.com/january.bain

Any other social media - https://www.goodreads.com/author/show/6437282.January_Bain



No comments:

Post a Comment